Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Depart From Me I Never Knew You

Just like we check our cabinets and fridge for items we lack so must we check our hearts. For years I have heard sermons preached on Matthew 7:21-23, and quivered in my seat scared that one day I might hear Jesus say to me....

Matthew 7:23 And then will I profess unto them, I never knew you: depart from me, ye that work iniquity. KJV

How than could I know this would not be me? Why would Jesus say this to those that....

Matthew 7:22 Many will say to me in that day, Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in thy name? and in thy name have cast out devils? and in thy name done many wonderful works? KJV

Finally after years of wondering about this, and fearing it would be me cast down into hell God revealed to me what is meant by this scripture. Funny thing is it can be found in the same book a few chapters away in Matthew 15. Here the Pharisees come to Jesus saying the disciples are defiling them selves by eating with unclean hands. But Jesus tells them the following.

Matthew 15:7-8 Ye hypocrites, well did Esaias prophesy of you, saying, This people draweth nigh unto me with their mouth, and honoureth me with their lips; but their heart is far from me. KJV

In another area of Matthew Peter comes to Jesus with no understanding, and Jesus answers him as follows. 

Matthew 15:16-20 15And Jesus said, Are ye also yet without understanding? 17 Do not ye yet understand, that whatsoever entereth in at the mouth goeth into the belly, and is cast out into the draught? 18 But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man. 19 For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies: 20 These are the things which defile a man: but to eat with unwashen hands defileth not a man. KJV

Ah I got it Jesus was saying that it is in a man's heart that truly matters. It does not matter if you do good works at church or in your community if you are not doing it for Him. If we do not do all things to the Glory of God we may hear Jesus say "Depart from me I never knew you." Well while I felt better knowing it was a matter of the heart I still needed to do a heart check. Was I doing all things to His glory? No, I can think of many times I have done things to get glory for my self and not for Him, even though I totally recognize the fact I can do nothing with out Him.

While I am still working on the heart issue at least now I know what the scripture means, and work on knowing fully well that I have control. Let us pray that we become the people God has created us to be instead of what we have created our selves to be. Let us pray that the words that come from our mouths will be His words and not our own so we may not offend. Let us do ALL things to the glory of God so we will not hear Jesus say "Depart from me I never knew you."





1 comment:

  1. I really enjoyed reading this post and the message within.
    I am following you now and would love for you to follow along.
    Jillian

    http://puzzlemecomplete.blogspot.com/

    Have a Blessed Christmas.

    ReplyDelete